I'm just....so normal

Saturday, November 11, 2006

date update

I forgot to mention how the date went in my last post.

It got postponed twice due to his, then my schedule. We finally met for drinks the Monday before I left. I set a time limit on it of an hour and a half with flexible enough plans after that if we were hitting it off, I could have easily stayed.

I'm glad I set the limit.

We met at the fountain downtown and as he said hi, I could barely hear him. No smiling. He shook my hand. lol. So formal and already I knew he was quite nervous. I tried to keep the energy and conversation up, hoping he'd loosen up a bit and relax.

We went to a pub and ordered a pint each. He was shaking he was so nervous so I knew I couldn't be the shy one. I really had to be my chatty self (which doesn't always come out right away). I asked questions, I went into detail when he asked me questions. His pint was going down faster than mine. He didn't smile until half way through the date! So awkward. And his eye contact was more like staring me down. I tried not to show how uncomfortable I was and just kept 'having fun'. haha!

After an hour in, I was ready to call it a night. He had ordered a second pint, though, so I kept up the chatting. Thankfully this wasn't as awkward a date as the last one I talked about, but it was still not an 'out of the ball part, fireworks, can't wait to see him again' date.

When we left, he said we should get together when I'm back from my travels and I said sure. I worry I'm too picky, but really I don't think I am. I knew he was nervous and I really tried to keep the conversation up and when he actually said, 'I'm really nervous' I said don't be! We're just hanging out chatting and getting to know each other. I was really trying to make sure he was comfortable. Maybe I wasn't so nervous because he was? Or because I didn't really feel that 'chemistry' between us. I don't know. I think we'd make good friends, but I'm not so sure about a romantic connection.

So...that's the update on that. Aren't you glad you waited for it?? LOL!

1 Comments:

  • Yup, I'm still glad that I asked for an update!

    I find that in these date situations, if I know he's more nervous than I, my more outgoing self comes out. You were awesome and it sure sounds like you did all you could to put him at ease.

    Oh chemistry, why are you so elusive? The last guy I had chemistry with, it ended up being one-sided. It's so hard to get that mutual stuff going.

    And on being too picky: many say I am too but I can't quite believe it. Everyone should have standards. If a guy decides to ask me out, I want it to be because I met his requirements for someone he asks on a date and not just because I'm a heterosexual female!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home